|Sunday April 29, 2007|
- My hometown newspaper, The Plain Dealer, did an exceptional article on DialIdol complete with a full page story on the front of the "PDQ" section. Of particular interest is a quote from FOX spokeswoman Jennifer Sprague where she finally confirms that "Using a modem dialer is not the same as 'power dialing'". Which means DialIdol is not subject to their power dialer rule - thus confirming that all DialIdol votes count!
- Reading the article online is not the same experience as viewing the article in The Plain Dealer so if you have access to this paper then I highly recommend getting it. Finding the "PDQ" section is a bit difficult but once you do you can't miss the article - it consumes the entire front page complete with a 1/2 page picture of my head!
- Here is a link to the full quote from FOX which includes a surprising-to-some revelation that they have never manipulated the vote due to power dialers.
- After analyzing the data there were several bugs that effected the scoring this week and for the first time ever I am manually overriding the automatically generated data with data that better reflects what would have happened without the bugs. The override is not significant though.
- The primary bug caused the time zone divider to be different amongst contestants. This should be the same for all contestants so I made it the same. The result better matches a respected anonymous person's calculations though it uses a different method. It also "jives" better with what GeoPredictions shows us.
- This bug caused the scores between the two lines of a contestant to be different (seen only in DIHardGraphs). Though they are still different in DIHardGraphs, they are now the same on the predictions page (even though you can't see it).
- As a result of correcting the data, DIHardGraphs will not properly reflect scores for Idol Gives Back week however when voting resumes the scores for this week will be correct. So 1/2 of week 6 data in DIHardGraphs will be a little off, 1/2 will (hopefully) be a little right. :)
- This correction effectively means that those score intervals that were all zeros did not impact scoring because the only thing they did was increase the divider for specific contestants.
- A second bug existed that was fixed during the vote last week that caused multiple intervals to be posted per interval. These extra intervals were all zeros. These intervals have been deleted from the database so they won't show up in DIHardGraphs anymore. Other than not showing up in DIHardGraphs deleting the data has no effect.
The OLD predictions are shown below.
The NEW predictions are shown below.
As you can see Jordin, Phil and Chris stayed in the same row but Lakisha dropped down quite a bit and Blake and Melinda moved up.
- The GeoPredictions page no longer shows ties.
- Voting will resume Tuesday night with no worries about how the predictions will be impacted.
- I've got a new server up and running that will be available to service the application Tuesday night so hopefully capacity issues won't be a problem.
- A second server will post twice the interval data and might fake you into thinking that the bug I mentioned above is back - its not.
- My DNS issues haven't been completely worked out yet but hopefully they will be by Tuesday.
|DialIdol.com is NOT affiliated in any way with FOX TV ®, AMERICAN IDOL ®, or FremantleMedia North America, Inc. |
|Contact DialIdol | Links | Terms Of Service | Privacy |
Copyright © 2013. James Hellriegel Jr, all rights reserved.