|Sunday April 30, 2006|
DialIdol v220.127.116.11 has been released. This version upgrade will notify you if you are running an old version that you might want to upgrade but an upgrade is not required. (2.1.x versions will continue to work.) Here's what changed.
- The Make the following Idols SAFE/UNSAFE options will dial both numbers equally IF you select both numbers. This was the only real functional bug in the whole multiple phone number thing. Also using this option If there is a tie between two Idols it will dial for all the ties.
- The top to bottom three stats will only show one instance of each Idol.
- Modified submission of data for optimal server load.
- Fixed a cosmetic bug clarifying that the top to bottom three score is indeed the DialIdol score not the busy percent.
On the web site I changed the way the DialIdol score is calculated to take the average busy percent of all lines and work from that rather than combining the calls from all lines together. This is a better measure of the busy signal. This new algorithm did not significantly change week 6 results when I ran them through the new model (the stats shown on the web site are the original stats).
You will now be able to see the busy percent/raw numbers for each Idol's phone number on the predictions page.
DialIdol was down this morning while our DNS service provider moved data centers.
|Sunday April 9, 2006|
DialIdol v18.104.22.168 has been released. Here's what changed.
- Each time you click DialIdol all Idol's phone numbers will be checked to verify they are the full 11 digits. If you start dialing prematurely your will get a scary dialog warning you that the numbers are incomplete though it will let you dial. If the numbers are complete nothing is visibly different.
- The never ending quest for compatibility continues. I've addressed the "Modem not responding to AT commands" message even further. Hopefully this time for good.
- I've added an option to append characters after the phone number which should help at least one person on a college campus get DialIdol to work. Now that I think about it the "Is DialIdol Working?" option may not append these digits but the main program does.
All of this was quickly coded in the spur of the moment so cross your fingers for me and hope it works! :)
|Sunday April 2, 2006|
I just thought of a funny April fool's I should have played. :) Too bad it was a day late!
So I don't have any big news. The new scoring system has been refined further this weekend and will now weight scores based on time zone population. Of course these weights are only relevant to DI's scoring system - votes still count the same in the only scoring system that matters - American Idols ®.
Margin of error will be calculated on a per Idol basis going forward according to the actual MOE equation. (Here's too hoping my minimal math skills got it right!)
I posted season four scores.
I posted the raw data for week 10.
So here's some fun facts about the month of March.
- www.DialIdol.com received 3,215,726 hits (more actually).
- Over 100,000+ unique IP addresses (people) visited www.DialIdol.com.
- I was interviewed by at least 5 different media outlets and made the front page of my local paper - The News Herald.
- DI shut down for 6 days after receiving 1 cease & desist letter.
- 158,745 calls were placed by DialIdol.
- DialIdol missed one vote - not because of the C&D letter but because of high volume and poor programming! :)
- DialIdol added a second web server.
Thanks for helping to make DialIdol a smashing success!
|Sunday March 26, 2006|
DialIdol v22.214.171.124 is being released today. This version should be compatible with more modems. It addresses the "Modem not responding to AT commands" problem many people were having, especially those with Intel 537EP modems. I'd like to thank Keith for providing me with one of these modems to test with.
|Tuesday March 21, 2006|
As you can see, DialIdol is back online. There was no legal case to begin with but I had to make sure with professional legal advice. I suppose FremantleMedia might chose to push the issue further but I hope not. I have changed the DialIdol logo and made a few other cosmetic changes but other than that DialIdol is still the same old web site.
I'd like to thank my family, friends and co-workers for being extremely supportive and for riding the roller coaster of a week this has been with me.
I'd like to thank all of you for viewing my web site and for all the support you've given me.
Here is the list of people/places I'd like to thank for helping me advance the DialIdol cause.
I'd also like to thank my lawyer, Patrick Daugherty from the law firm of Driggs, Hogg & Fry Co., L.P.A.
|Friday March 17, 2006|
Thanks again for your continued support. Many of you have provided very valuable advice that I hope will turn out to get this site back up and operational by Tuesday for the next vote - though the timing is going to be close.
I have contacted the ACLU and EFF and I still have a few other sites/organizations to review. There are also a few other leads I am following that seem promising at this moment as well as pursuit of traditional private attorneys. Since I have nothing concrete at the moment I am still looking for help & ideas. You've been so helpful to date I ask that you keep those well wishes and ideas coming.
For those interested in the C&D letter - here it is. I have edited out the personal private information but everything else is as I received it. BTW: Yes - the dates are truly inaccurate.
The regular site may come back in some form later today or this weekend. It will be without the application available for download, without the predictions and without the logo.
"Thanks" doesn't seem to cut it - but it's all I've got until the site is back up! ;)
|Thursday March 16, 2006|
I am swamped with emails for support and all of your emails keep me motivated even if you can't provide financial support!
I have received TONS of requests to see the cease and desist letter. I want to post this but I am afraid it will cause me more harm than good. I need to be convinced it will not cause me more harm than good first. I am also reluctant to reveal details of the phone conversation I had with them - but I will say pay close attention to the second paragraph in the "David Vs. Goliath" bulletin.
Also, I now believe FremantleMedia (the parent company of American Idol) is infringing on my first amendment rights to free speech and free press. The problem is going to become finding a brave, affordable lawyer to take all this on!
Thank you so much and stay tuned for details. DialIdol is down - but not dead!
|Wednesday March 15, 2006|
Goliath (as they will be known for the purposes of this bulletin) sent this "David" a cease and desist letter yesterday claiming that DialIdol infringes on copyrights they own. I am not sure how they think I infringe and many of the allegations they made in the letter are false but in order to protect myself I am taking DialIdol down while I consult with the appropriate resources.
Goliath is very upset with the entire premise of this web site, particularly the way DialIdol "measures the busy signal" to predict the results. Given this I find it highly unlikely that I can change a few logos/colors/names to satisfy their concerns.
Understand that I really am just this one "David" guy with virtually no resources at my disposal to "fight" this Goliath. And by the way I don't even want to fight them - I love Goliath and want to work with them.
As I mentioned I will be consulting the appropriate resources over the next few days. If you'd like to help this David I encourage you to do three things:
- Watch the show. Everyone involved in this process is here because we love the show - so watch it! The better the ratings, the better off DialIdol will be.
- Email Goliath and let them know you are upset with their decision to shut DialIdol down.
- Email me and let me know if you'd be willing to contribute to a legal fund to help David gain a tiny bit of leverage versus Goliath.
Thank you for your support!
|DialIdol.com is NOT affiliated in any way with FOX TV ®, AMERICAN IDOL ®, or FremantleMedia North America, Inc. |
|Contact DialIdol | Links | Terms Of Service | Privacy |
Copyright © 2013. James Hellriegel Jr, all rights reserved.