New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly

Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

HancockMark

25 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  3:44:51 PM  Show Profile
Dave White writes the absolute funniest commentary on American Idol anywhere on the Internet.

http://www.advocate.com/exclusive_detail_ektid31154.asp

go_noles06

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  6:19:52 PM  Show Profile
That was funny. "They" usually are. Do you read the Advocate often?

All aboard the E-Train!!
Go to Top of Page

HancockMark

25 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  7:19:03 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by go_noles06

That was funny. "They" usually are. Do you read the Advocate often?

All aboard the E-Train!!

I can read a gay magazine and not give two ****s what some faceless people on the internet might think. I can also refrain from putting "they" in quotes like a smarmy, immature high school kid.

Oh but you asked whether I read the Advocate often, my bad. Yes, I do - every week when Dave posts a new story. Thanks for asking!

Go to Top of Page

Mcpheever111

55 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  7:47:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Mcpheever111 a Yahoo! Message
R you saying Elliot is a jew

BA BA BOOEY
Go to Top of Page
Google

go_noles06

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  7:49:05 PM  Show Profile
Wow, did I hit a nerve? It was just a question. And "they" is a term used when you are not including yourself. Why so hostile? I find it interesting that you post an article from a homosexual magazine written by a homosexual guy that makes fun of everyone on AI and all married heterosexual men and you are upset with me for saying "they"! lol - you're a trip! Maybe you're just upset that I am the only one that posted in here?

BTW, I am way beyond highschool, my dear.

All aboard the E-Train!!
Go to Top of Page

HancockMark

25 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2006 :  2:55:56 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Wow, did I hit a nerve? It was just a question. And "they" is a term used when you are not including yourself. Why so hostile? I find it interesting that you post an article from a homosexual magazine written by a homosexual guy that makes fun of everyone on AI and all married heterosexual men and you are upset with me for saying "they"! lol - you're a trip! Maybe you're just upset that I am the only one that posted in here?

BTW, I am way beyond highschool, my dear.

I don't care that you use the term they, it's just lame that you put it in quotes and try to be cutesy about it. If I posted something from Ebony magazine, would you also have done the same thing, saying That was funny, "they" usually are?

That's what I'm saying. It's childish to call attention to the fact that it's written by a gay guy, my dear. Because who cares? I don't. The fact that you do is annoying to me, my dear. And that's why I said something. Your comment reminds me of the lady in PTA meetings gossipping in the back about someone else's drinking problem.

I didn't say you were in high school, I said that it was very high school of you to do so, my dear.
Go to Top of Page
Your Ad Here

ElliotFan

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2006 :  3:18:09 PM  Show Profile
So we can make fun of American Idol Contestants, their families, their singing, their stares into the camera, etc. but we cant put "they" in quotations referring to a different group of people????? that is so Odd!.

I use "they" when I am speaking of my inlaws or sometimes i will use "they" when speaking of the crazy *** people at walmart on the first of the month!
Go to Top of Page

HancockMark

25 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  02:27:50 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ElliotFan

So we can make fun of American Idol Contestants, their families, their singing, their stares into the camera, etc. but we cant put "they" in quotations referring to a different group of people????? that is so Odd!.

I use "they" when I am speaking of my inlaws or sometimes i will use "they" when speaking of the crazy *** people at walmart on the first of the month!

If I were part of a minority in this country, especially a minority increasingly serving as the lightning rod for all Christian Republican woes, I wouldn't want to see someone referring to me as "they" in quotes. It wouldn't make me feel welcome - rather it would make me feel like an outsider. It's just simple, basic human comp***ion: try to make everyone feel welcome.

But whatever. Maybe mine is just schmaltzy midwest value to you. If your logic with inlaws examples and what not comforts you that your behavior is acceptable, then by all means, scoff at my protests and wear your fatuousness with pride.

I'm sure I'm a politically correct nut, am I not?
Go to Top of Page

Magpie

999 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  08:04:28 AM  Show Profile
I actually use "they" when referring to any group of people that I might be relating to at any given time. Now I don't know why this person used "they", but I very seldom use it in the negative form. I usually use it when the actual "group" is not defined. You know, like when you were young and you'd say "Dad, they're ALL going... Why can't I-I-I????(whiny voice) and your dad would answer... "I don't care what "they" are doing, you're not going!" haha
quote:
Originally posted by HancockMark

quote:

If I were part of a minority in this country, especially a minority increasingly serving as the lightning rod for all Christian Republican woes, I wouldn't want to see someone referring to me as "they" in quotes. It wouldn't make me feel welcome - rather it would make me feel like an outsider. It's just simple, basic human comp***ion: try to make everyone feel welcome.

But whatever. Maybe mine is just schmaltzy midwest value to you. If your logic with inlaws examples and what not comforts you that your behavior is acceptable, then by all means, scoff at my protests and wear your fatuousness with pride.

I'm sure I'm a politically correct nut, am I not?

Go to Top of Page

ElliotFan

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  09:33:12 AM  Show Profile
Magpie, very good example! I think we all used that as children...My mom would say "if THEY jumped off of a bridge would you?"

Hancock, we aren't saying you are a politically correct nut, you just shouldnt have gone off on go_noles06 like that, there was nothing disrepectful about "they"...you took it out of context...
Go to Top of Page

HancockMark

25 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  12:01:57 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Magpie, very good example! I think we all used that as children...My mom would say "if THEY jumped off of a bridge would you?"

Hancock, we aren't saying you are a politically correct nut, you just shouldnt have gone off on go_noles06 like that, there was nothing disrepectful about "they"...you took it out of context...

The difference is that you're defending go_noles06 because you think he/she had no wrong intentions. I think that regardless of intent, any minority group would take offense. What if the article I posted was from Ebony, a black magazine, and go_noles wrote exactly the same thing? Would there be nothing disrespectful about that as well?
Go to Top of Page

go_noles06

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  4:05:11 PM  Show Profile
The point is, it was not intended to offend. I could have said much more blatant things if the idea was to insult those who identify with this article. THAT I did not do. If we are all going to be super sensitive then the article that you are sharing would be sure to offend everyone in here. We are all partial to atleast one of the idols and could take offense to the comments made about our favorite idol. OR we could be heterosexual males and take offense to his comment about them. Relax a little and just enjoy the responses that you get from an article that YOU chose to share with us!
If this is read by anyone else, be prepared to get some of the same responses that you have already gotten. And be mindful that when you open up the article there is an ad immediately to the right that has a picture of a nude man. That is going to alarm the average person in this forum!

Thanks for sharing, anyway.

Lovin' the E-Train ride!!
Go to Top of Page

HancockMark

25 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  6:05:54 PM  Show Profile
quote:

The point is, it was not intended to offend. I could have said much more blatant things if the idea was to insult those who identify with this article. THAT I did not do. If we are all going to be super sensitive then the article that you are sharing would be sure to offend everyone in here. We are all partial to atleast one of the idols and could take offense to the comments made about our favorite idol. OR we could be heterosexual males and take offense to his comment about them. Relax a little and just enjoy the responses that you get from an article that YOU chose to share with us!
If this is read by anyone else, be prepared to get some of the same responses that you have already gotten. And be mindful that when you open up the article there is an ad immediately to the right that has a picture of a nude man. That is going to alarm the average person in this forum!

Noles, I respect that you didn't intend to offend anyone... just like high school kids who call eachother "fag" as a generic derogatory term don't mean to offend gays. Nor do the white kids who call each other "nigga" to mimic rappers. But to me, just because the intent wasn't there doesn't mean that they're absolved of all fault. If you heard kids doing either, would you tell them that they shouldn't say it? Or would you ignore it, because they didn't MEAN to offend gays or blacks?

And again, what if the article I posted was from Ebony, a black magazine? Are you honestly going to tell me that you'd have no problem writing exactly the same thing, indirectly referring to blacks in the same way?

In your first post, you specifically and intentionally went out of your way to call attention, in a nudge-nudge-wink-wink way, to the fact that the author was gay and that the magazine was a gay magazine. Why, exactly? To do so was at best pointless, at worst a subtle form of public vilification, unintentional yet reflexive.

And yes, yes, I believe that you may not have intended to offend. But to claim as such and ignore the importance of how your words are received is disingenuous.
Go to Top of Page

Big Bad Johnny

USA
355 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  6:33:14 PM  Show Profile
After the last couple of weeks, if everyone here who said anything that offended someone else had to appologize, there wouldn't be enough bandwidth in the universe to handle that many appoligies.

I think all the bashing has gotten out of hand, but if I find myself getting too offended about anything, I will just delete dialidol.com from my favorites and never come back. Life is way too short to get upset about things you have no control over. And, since the freedom of speach is guaranteed in my copy of the US Constitution, what anyone else says is pretty much guaranteed to be in that list of things that I can't control...

Edited by - Big Bad Johnny on 05/22/2006 6:34:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

lowerbamasweetie

101 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  7:00:26 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bad Johnny

After the last couple of weeks, if everyone here who said anything that offended someone else had to appologize, there wouldn't be enough bandwidth in the universe to handle that many appoligies.

I think all the bashing has gotten out of hand, but if I find myself getting too offended about anything, I will just delete dialidol.com from my favorites and never come back. Life is way too short to get upset about things you have no control over. And, since the freedom of speach is guaranteed in my copy of the US Constitution, what anyone else says is pretty much guaranteed to be in that list of things that I can't control...

Totally Agree with you Johnny!
Go to Top of Page

HancockMark

25 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  7:00:29 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bad Johnny

"Life is way too short to get upset about things you have no control over." That's a nice philosophy for someone heading into a risky surgery or a mother worrying about a child at summer camp.

As a general worldview, it is absolutely terrible. I'm sure Martin Luther King heard the same words of wisdom uttered to him in different forms a thousand times. As did Rosa Parks. As did Ghandi. As did FDR when he declared war on Japan. People standing up for what they believe are the cornerstones of human history, and the world is changed for the better because of them. No one ever did anyone any favors by ducking their heads in the sand. Life is too short NOT to stick up for the little guy.

I don't want to control what other people say. That goes against the freedom of speech guaranteed by the first amendment. But if I think what they're saying is wrong, I'm going to let them know.

As for the Freedom of Speach, my copy of the constitution doesn't mention that anywhere. Are you talking about the freedom of Peter Speach (http://peterspeach.actorsite.com/) or Bernadette Speach (http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/Speach.html)?

Edited by - HancockMark on 05/22/2006 7:03:34 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
DialIdol.com Forums © www.DialIdol.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google
DialIdol.com is NOT affiliated in any way with FOX TV , AMERICAN IDOL , or FremantleMedia North America, Inc.